Thursday, December 24, 2015

2015 @ReadingFightins Holiday Set


I may be mistaken, but I don't recall ever seeing a holiday themed baseball team set before.  The Reading Fightin Phils Tweeted out a few weeks back that they had released a limited edition holiday themed team set.  The team wisely advertised the set as a great stocking stuffer idea, so I picked up two sets for my stocking and Doug's stocking.  (His set turned into a belated birthday gift.)

The set is notable for including the entire late season roster, which features most of the top prospects in the Phillies system . . . at least until the recent Ken Giles deal.  The set also features all six (!) Fightin Phils team mascots.  Where possible, players are featured wearing their gaudy "Christmas in July" uniforms, and I've picked a few of my favorites to show off here.

Also of interest is that this set contains the first Phillies-related cards for non-roster invitee Reinier Roibal, along with a few of the top prospects acquired from the Rangers - Jake Thompson and Nick Williams - in the Cole Hamels trade.

I'm not sure exactly how "limited" these sets actually are, but I'm glad I added this festive set to my collection.

* * *

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

1 comment:

Tony Burbs said...

This is such a good idea! If any of the Cubs affiliates did this I would eat it up in a heartbeat.