Thursday, October 8, 2015

The First Moves of the 2015-2016 Offseason

2015 Phillies Team Issue 2 #30
While the rest of the baseball world was preparing for the Cubs-Pirates Wild Card game, the Phillies were busy making their first roster moves of the off-season.

Catcher Erik Kratz, infielder Chase d'Arnaud, outfielder Jordan Danks and relievers Justin De Fratus, Adam Loewen and Ken Roberts were all outrighted off the 40-man roster.  Jonathan Pettibone, who was on the 60-day disabled list all season, was activated and also outrighted.  The moves leave the Phillies with 34 players on their 40-man roster and six players still on the 60-day DL.

2015 Choice Lehigh Valley
IronPigs Update #8
2015 Choice Lehigh Valley
IronPigs Update #9
2012 Choice Lehigh Valley
IronPigs Update #13
2007 Topps #78
 
Given their years of service, d'Arnaud, De Fratus, Loewen and Kratz can all immediately elect to become free agents or they can wait until after the World Series when they'll automatically become minor league free agents.  Danks and Pettibone can become free agents following the World Series and Roberts will be reassigned to a Phillies minor league team.

Of the seven players outrighted, De Fratus had been in the Phillies system the longest, having made his debut with the club in 2011.  He leaves behind a Phillies baseball card legacy that began with the 2011 Bowman set and ended with the 2015 team issued photo card sets.

d'Arnaud, Danks and Loewen could join the ranks of those unfortunate (or fortunate depending on your point of view) Phillies players who never appeared on a Phillies baseball card.  Roberts appears to still have a chance if he's in the mix next season.

* * *
2015 Phillies Team
Issue 2 #12
2015 Phillies Team
Issue 2 #54
2014 Phillies Team
Issue #44
Also of note is the dismissal of two Phillies coaches following the final game of the season.  Third base coach John Mizerock and bullpen coach Rod Nichols were let go and the other four coaches - bench coach Larry Bowa, first base coach Juan Samuel, hitting coach Steve Henderson and pitching coach Bob McClure were all invited back for 2016.  There's been no official word yet if those four will actually decide to return for 2016 and Bowa recently interviewed for the manager's job in Miami.

2 comments:

Steve F. said...

I'll always be able to remember Mizerock and Nichols by the signed baseballs of them I pulled from the ALS Phestival for $20 each!

Just kidding as to Nichols--but actually I did get Mizerock and Bob McClure in two bags I bought at once. I was there with my son who desperately wanted a bobblehead, and I showed the guy working there that I had received two coach-signed balls and that my son wanted a bobblehead. He took pity at our poor luck and allowed me to trade in one for a bobblehead. I can't remember which one we kept, but I think it was McClure.

Jim said...

I've bought two mystery signed baseball bags in my life and I ended up with Pedro Feliz and Carlos Ruiz.

If the Phillies are going to include coach-signed baseballs, they should at least be of ALL the coaches. Now that's something I wouldn't mind having. (I'd still prefer one of the players.)