Monday, September 14, 2015

2015 Bowman Inception Prospect Autographs #PA-JT Jake Thompson

Cubs 7, Phillies 3 (Game 2)
Game 142 - Friday Night, September 11th in Philadelphia
Record - 54-88, 5th Place, 26 1/2 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies only had 5 hits in the nightcap of the double header and starting pitcher Alec Asher struggled again in the 7-3 loss.

What It Means:  The Phillies are a season low 34 games under .500.  With 20 games remaining, they'll need to go 9-11 to avoid a one hundred loss season.

What Happened:  Asher was chased after five innings having allowed six runs on seven hits and three walks.  Ryan Howard doubled in the seventh to break an 0 for 35 slump.

Featured Card:  While one former Rangers farmhand (Asher) struggled, another former Rangers farmhand (Jake Thompson) was excelling on the mound.  Thompson, acquired from the Rangers along with Asher and four other players for Cole Hamels, pitched a three-hit shutout in the Double-A playoffs on Friday night.  I don't actively collect non-Phillies baseball cards of players who have yet to actually play for the Phillies, but I couldn't resist adding this autographed card to my collection.

I do believe this is the first season in a while where I'm anxious for the season to end just so we can start daydreaming about the possibilities of next season.

2 comments:

J. Meeks said...

Outside of Matt Harrison (who is my favorite player) being shipped to Philly, Jake Thompson was the most painful. So much promise. He's going to be a solid number two or three when he gets the call-up, and I'm still upset that call-up won't come from the Rangers.

Jim said...

It's funny, but my son asked if there were Rangers fans who were sad about losing some of their players. He was seriously bummed about seeing Hamels go, but then I asked him how upset would he be if the Phillies traded away his favorite players from the Reading team. Trades are tough sometimes on both sides.

I hope Hamels gets the Rangers back to the postseason . . . he's a bulldog on the mound and I'm glad he's playing meaningful games again.