Thursday, September 24, 2015

1982 Fleer #476 Dale Berra (and a New Blog . . . )

Marlins 4, Phillies 3 (11 Innings)
Game 152 - Wednesday Night, September 23rd in Miami
Record - 57-95, 5th Place, 28 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  Ken Giles' first blown save of the season and some sloppy defense by the Phillies led to the 11-inning loss to the Marlins, 4-3.

What It Means:  There are 10 more games left in the Phillies 2015 season.

What Happened:  It's a shame the Phillies couldn't pull this one out, as they battled back to tie the game in the 8th and take the lead in the 10th.  Giles allowed a single to Ichiro Suzuki to start the 10th and then committed an error on a sacrifice bunt from Dee Gordon, which was ruled a hit for some reason by the official scorer.  Another sac bunt and another error from Carlos Ruiz allowed the Marlins to tie up the game.  Gordon's RBI-double in the 11th off Jerome Williams broke the tie and won the ballgame.

Featured Cards:  I really wanted to pay tribute to Yogi Berra, who passed away at the age of 90 early Wednesday morning.  Several of the blogs I follow posted images of Berra's iconic baseball cards throughout the day yesterday and I really enjoyed seeing them all.

The closest I can come to a Phillies-related baseball card to pay tribute to Berra is this card from the 1982 Fleer set featuring his son Dale and Phillies catcher Keith Moreland watching a foul pop down the third base line at The Vet.

1956 Topps #110
And because it's Yogi, I'll break one of the blog's rules and show off his classic 1956 Topps card too. You may have noticed the 1956 Topps Del Ennis card on the left sidebar with the Coming Soon teaser.  I'm happy to announce that I'm finally working towards getting my 1956 Topps blog off the ground and the shell of it is up and running.  Semi-regular posting should begin in mid-October and my goal is to complete the blog is less time (about 20 years) than it took my Dad and me to build the set.  Please check it out and spread the word!

2 comments:

Section 36 said...

Can't wait for the 1956 Topps blog! I'm sure it will be a great read.

night owl said...

Cool!