Sunday, September 6, 2015

1952 Bowman #200 Ken Silvestri

Red Sox 9, Phillies 2
Game 136 - Saturday Afternoon, September 5th in Boston
Record - 53-83

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies suffered another in their series of 2015 beat-downs, this time at the hands of the Red Sox in a lopsided 9-2 loss.

What It Means:  There are 26 games left this season, and the Phillies will need to go at least 10-16 the rest of the way to avoid 100 losses.  I missed it following Friday night's game, but that loss officially clinched a losing season for the team for the third year in a row.

What Happened:  The bats were stifled by Wade Miley, who threw his first career complete game. Alec Asher, making his second Major League start, was beat up in his 3 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs on eight hits.

Featured Card:  This gorgeous 1952 Bowman card of catcher Ken Silvestri has absolutely nothing to do with this awful game.  I picked up this card over the weekend at the Deptford Mall baseball card show, which featured about 7 or 8 tables.  I crossed off a small stack of needs from my late 1950s/early 1960s Phillies want lists, and this card was my final purchase of the day.  My oldest son Doug found some success in a dime box, coming away with a nice stack of old and new Phillies cards.  It does my soul good to watch him sort his new cards, updating his checklists and admiring his growing collection.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one nice card. Since neither of my teams existed in 1952, I might have to do what I did with 1956 Topps and just start picking up pretty and relatively cheap commons.

Section 36 said...

On the bright side, I was at this game...and had a wonderful time! Even if I don't know many of the names in the Phillies line-up.

Jim said...

TSR - Would you ever consider collecting NY Giants card from that era? Although I suppose that would be the same as someone asking me if I'd collect Philadelphia A's cards. (And the answer to that question would be no.)

S36 - Boooooo! You'll know their names one day! (I hope.)

Anonymous said...

A number of years ago I had that same idea, that I should just pick up NY Giants cards from 1957 and before, but the emotional connection just isn't strong enough to motivate me. I'd rather just chase beautiful commons regardless of the team.