Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Additions to My Bob Dernier Collection

2014 Panini Immaculate Collection
Autographs Gold #46
2014 Panini Immaculate Collection 
Autographs Blue #46
2014 Panini Immaculate Collection 
Autographs #46
I'm not one to actively chase down short-printed Phillies parallels or cards with extremely low print runs, but when I saw that my all-time favorite player had a card in last year's Panini Immaculate Collection set I made it a goal of mine to at least track down one of each of his new cards.  I've been a fan of Bob Dernier since he played catch with me in the summer of 1982 on the outfield turf of Veterans Stadium.  I've collected his cards, written him letters (as a younger lad) and kept up with his post-playing career travels as much as possible.

Dernier had four different cards issued as part of the 2014 Panini Immaculate Collection set, all containing an on-card autograph and the same picture showing him with the Cubs.  I've added three of the four cards to my collection, with the elusive platinum parallel 1/1 being the only card I'm currently missing.  Shown above is the gold parallel (numbered to 5), the blue parallel (numbered to 10) and the regular version of the card (numbered to 99).

It wasn't until I was scanning the cards for this post that I realized I had the fourth serial numbered card from each of these parallels.  Weird.  (Upon closer inspection, I have #84 of the card numbered to 99.  The 8 originally looked like a 0 to my weary eyes.)

I've updated my Bob Dernier Want List and I'm now down to needing mostly Cubs team issued cards, hard-to-find oddballs and the 1/1's from a few 2005 Topps offerings and last year's Panini Immaculate Collection set.

2 comments:

Steve F. said...

Ah, parallels! Why do these remind me of those "Name three differences between these photos" comics you used to see in the Sunday comic section?

But since it's for Bobby D., you can be forgiven for buying them.... (Also, since it's your blog!)

Jim said...

For those collectors who have multiple player collections, I just don't know how they do it. It felt a little silly shelling out $$ for the same exact card three different times, albeit with a different number stamped on the front.