Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Opening a Pack of 2013 Phungo from @phungo2008

2013 Phungo #42, #64, #45 and #33
I probably haven't purchased a pack of baseball cards since mid-summer and I recently got the itch to head to Target and pick up something to "rip" as the kids say these days.  Fortunately for me, and my wallet, a nice package arrived from Phungo World Headquarters just in time to curtail my trip down the card aisle.

The 2013 Phungo set release is a bit late this year, but that's fine with me.  Opening a pack of Phungo cards is well worth the wait, as there's usually a good mix of original product and vintage Phillies cards in each of the packs I've received in the past.  This year's pack definitely did not disappoint.

Featured at the top of this post are four of the original Phungo cards from my pack.  (I featured the Tommy Joseph card in a previous post.)  I absolutely love the Terry Mulholland card, as the former lefty has decided to grow a fantastic mane of gray hair.  And kudos to the Phungo photographer who captured the shot of GM Ruben Amaro, Jr. as he appears to be smugly congratulating himself for a move that probably didn't pan out.  (And I appreciate that the set's designer assigned Amaro #33, which is the number he wore during his first stint with the Phillies in 1992 and 1993.)

1959 Topps #253, 1966 Topps #121, 2002 Fleer Focus Jersey Edition #59 and 2003 Fleer Patchworks #71
And then there's the non-Phungo card portion of each Phungo pack of cards.  What are the chances that my pack would contain two vintage Phillies cards that I actually need for my collection?  The Seth Morehead and Ray Herbert cards both fill team set needs.  The same can be said for the more recently released Marlon Byrd and Mike Lieberthal cards, both of which come from an era not widely represented in my collection.

So thanks again to Phungo, and I'm definitely looking forward to the sixth edition of the set to be released in 2014!

Memory Lane
2012 and 2011 Phungo
2010 Phungo
2009 Phungo

1 comment:

deal said...

glad I could knock some cards off of your want list. great review as well. Hopefully 2014 Phungo gets out the door earlier in the year.