Sunday, August 4, 2013

1983 Topps Foldouts Phillies

The 1983 Topps Foldouts set was released as a series of five booklets containing 17 cards each.  The 85 total cards in the set featured the active career leaders in five statistical categories as of the end of the 1982 season - wins, home runs, batting average, saves and stolen bases.  I can't remember exactly how these cards came to be in my collection, although I vaguely recollect obtaining them in a group break a few years ago.  These cards have been expertly cut from the other cards in the booklets, making them much easier to display in protective pages.

The cards of Joe Morgan and Tony Perez feature half-decent airbrushing jobs of the their new Phillies logos and red jersey pinstripes.


1 comment:

Steve F. said...

I collected these foldout booklets when I was a kid, although I've never seen them separated like that. Obviously much better for a Phillies collector. I'm not going to cut mine apart, but if I ever see them as a set like that, I'll pick them up.

Lame airbrush job on Joe Morgan. For the sideways photo, they should have just trimmed Schmidt's hat off of him and put the same hat on Joe--it would have looked a lot better.