Thursday, September 27, 2012

1976 Topps #247 Terry Harmon

Nationals 8, Phillies 4
Game 155 - Wednesday Night, September 26th in Philadelphia
Record - 78-77, 3rd Place, 16 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  The offense and the bullpen tried to keep the Phils in this game, but Kyle Kendrick's rough start was too much to overcome.

What It Means:  There are just seven more opportunities to catch the 2012 Phillies.  That's probably a good thing.

What Went Wrong:  Kendrick was knocked out in the third after allowing five runs on five hits, including three home runs.

B.J. Rosenberg's performance was probably the highlight for the Phillies, as he pitched three scoreless innings of relief and added an RBI-single.  Jimmy Rollins hit his 23rd home run of the season.

Featured Card:  There's nothing quite like receiving a package in the mail of unsolicited, unexpected baseball cards.  Jim, known as mrhaverkamp on The Bench and around the baseball card blogosphere, e-mailed me last week that he had a group of 46 cards for me from my '70s want lists.  The cards arrived a few days ago, and I'm happy to report I'm now much closer to my goal of having a full run of Topps Phillies cards from 1970-1979.  These cards look great all together in one groovy '70s binder.  Thanks again Jim!

4 comments:

Steve F. said...

You don't have to answer this, but if someone sent you cards from your want lists but they were in worse shape than you liked and you decided you needed to upgrade them, would you leave those cards on your publicly available want lists? Or would you delete them but keep a second set of books that showed your real want lists?

Like I said, you don't have to answer. :->

(Personally, I leave the card on my handwritten lists, but I circle it, indicating that I have a filler card but am looking for an upgrade.)

Jim said...

Unless the cards have just been butchered beyond recognition, I'd include them in my Phillies binder. I have these cards in EX-MT to MT condition in my sets, and the cards for my Phillies binders are just so have them all together, as nature intended. I may go back and upgrade a few here or there at some point.

(That being said, all the cards mrhaverkamp sent me were in wonderful condition.)

Jim from Downingtown said...

Harmon was a rarity: A 10+ year veteran who played his entire career with the Phillies. Mike Schmidt and Larry Christensen are also in that group (and maybe Rollins?)

Jim said...

According to the Phillies Media Guide, the following retired players have the most service time with the Phils and did not play with any other teams:

Schmidt - 18 Years
Christenson - 11 years
Harmon and Bob Miller - 10 years

Rollins is up to 13 years and counting.