Thursday, August 25, 2011

1978 TCMA The 1960's #133 Tony Taylor

Mets 7, Phillies 4
Game 128 - Wednesday Afternoon, August 24th in Philadelphia

One Sentence Summary:  Michael Martinez committed a costly error in the first, leading to four unearned Mets runs, and the Phillies never recovered.

What It Means:  The Phillies are now 83-45 as they prepare for a weekend series against the Marlins.

What Went Wrong:  For starters, I was working too hard to catch anything but the bottom of the ninth of this game.  I'm in the throes of one of my busiest times of the year at work, and I'm stopping only for bathroom breaks, snacks and sleep, in that order.

And then there was the Martinez error.  I have yet to see the play, but from what I've read, Martinez booted a double play ball, opening the floodgates for the four first inning Mets runs.  The Phils did manage to score three times in the second, but the Mets tacked on solo runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings to put the game away.

Featured Card:  I was hoping for a "super" grand slam when I tuned in to MLB Gameday in the bottom of the ninth.  The Phils were down by three entering the inning and had the first three batters cooperated, John Mayberry, Jr. would have stepped to the plate as the potential winning run.  Alas, it was not to be.  Bo Diaz and Tony Taylor remain the only two Phillies to date to own "super" grand slams.

No comments: