Sunday, June 19, 2011

2011 Topps Gypsy Queen #346 Shane Victorino

Phillies 5, Mariners 1
Game 72 - Late Saturday Night, June 18th in Seattle

One Sentence Summary:  Shane Victorino provided the offense in a late night defeat of the Mariners and King Felix, 5-1.

What It Means:  The Phillies improved to 45-27 and increased their lead in the division to six games over the Braves.  It also meant I was very tired on Sunday morning as I stayed up to watch this game.  Fortunately, as it was Father's Day, my kind wife got up with our boys allowing me to sleep in a bit.

What Went Right:  Victorino went 3 for 4 with 4 RBIs including the games two big hits - his two-run double in the seventh to give the Phillies the lead, and his two-run home run in the ninth to pad the lead.  Victorino has been red hot, hitting .474 with eight RBIs in his last nine games.  Jimmy Rollins also enjoyed a three-hit night.  The offense did well in their first look at Felix Hernandez (7-6), scoring three runs on eight hits.

Vance Worley battled through five innings, allowing the lone Mariners run on five hits.  Michael Stutes (1-0) pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings to pick up the win in relief.

Featured Card:  I was surprised when I checked that I hadn't yet included any 2011 Victorino baseball cards in my game summary posts following a Phillies victory.  This is his card from the Topps Gypsy Queen issue - a dreaded short-print.

No comments: