Friday, September 10, 2010

Phillies at Mets: September 10th through September 12th

Friday 7:10, Saturday 4:10, Sunday 1:10

Records: Phillies 81-60, 1st Place in the NL East (1 game ahead of the Braves); Mets 69-71, 4th Place in the NL East 11½ games behind the Phillies).  The Phils' Magic Number to clinch the East is 21.

After a long, dreary, busy period at my chosen profession, it's almost time to relax, enjoy the stretch run and contemplate former Phillie Jose Cardenal's afro.  Once again, it's days and weeks like these that make me ponder life as a pumpkin farmer.  Last year at this time, right after the deadlines passed and normal life resumed, I took a few days off to decompress and write about my appreciation for Cardenal's 1978 and 1979 Topps cards.  As the Phillies get ready to open a 3-game series with the Mets, and as I approach the end of another busy season, I do believe this is the perfect opportunity to feature Cardenal's 1980 Topps card.

1980 Topps #512
After the storm clears, along with the non-baseball card related essential to-do's of a normal life, I have a few non-essential things I'd like to check off my blog to-do list: 

1.  Post a game summary of Wednesday night's bashing of the Marlins and Nate Robertson's farewell tour.
2.  Update my wantlists for recent purchases from 2010 Topps 206 and a few choice Phillies cards obtained from the 1962 Topps and 1963 Fleer sets.  (Has anyone dubbed the 2010 Topps 206 set as the "Safety Dance" set yet?  Think about it.)
3.  Post the remaining 2010 Chachi set cards (up to 51 cards now).

Just a few days more of this . . .

Phillies Probables: Roy Halladay, Kyle Kendrick or Vance Worley, Roy Oswalt
Mets Probables: Jenrry Mejia, Mike Pelfrey, Jon Niese

No comments: