Wednesday, July 15, 2009

2009 Chachi Special Edition #PM Pedro Martinez

It's finally official . . .

The Phillies signed pitcher Pedro Martinez to a pro-rated one-year deal today, and then promptly placed him on the disabled list so he could rehab his strained shoulder in the minors. I watched parts of the press conference, and I'm honestly a little more excited about the Pedro signing than I thought I would be. However, I was a little bothered by his continuing professed "love" of the Mets' organization. That's just not going to fly in these parts.

In any event, bench coach Pete Mackanin (who will now wear #22) graciously surrendered his #45 so the future Hall of Famer could wear his familiar number. Pedro doesn't get a Chachi base card yet since he's not officially a Phillie until he takes the mound, but I thought today's signing at least merited a Chachi insert card.

No comments: