Wednesday, July 8, 2009

1980 Kellogg's #35 Pete Rose

This is another of the Pete Rose white whale cards from my youth that I've been fortunate to since add to my collection.

I think (again, maybe) it was my friend Rusty who originally clued me in to the fact that baseball cards were being included in cereal boxes. I wasn't a big cereal kid (I'm still not), and I preferred my Saturday morning cereal dry, sans milk. Anyway, Rusty had amassed a handful of these cereal cards and much to our amazement - they were in 3-D. This was pretty earth-shattering stuff to an 7-year-old.

The cards were inserted randomly into cereal boxes and I always seemed to get the Steve Kemp or the Richie Zisk cards, while Rusty was walking around with the Pete Rose and the Mike Schmidt cards. I honestly think I made myself sick one Saturday morning as I tried to finish off a box of cereal, just so my Mom would buy a new box.

5 comments:

Dean Family said...

I would have loved to get the Kemp one(LOL, I'm in Detroit). I didn't get anyone of note that year either, doing the same thing with cereal. Still have mine: Claudell Washington, Bob Bailor, Larry Hisle and Bruce Botche before my mom said 'enough.'

Walda said...

I would have bought the cereal - you didn't have to make yoursrlf sick! Next time, just tell me!

Jim said...

I think I was holding out for a new Star Wars guy, so I didn't want to push my luck!

Dean Family said...

Yes, this would have been during my mail-away Boba Fett period. I got that in the mail the same day we saw a re-release in theatres and I got a 1980 George Foster. Funny what you remember.

Jim said...

You only remember the important stuff! For example, I think I ended up with at least 4 mail-away Boba Fetts . . . you could never have too many Boba Fetts.