|2001 Bowman's Best #188|
Dillon was with the Nationals in 2018 and 2019, working as the assistant to hitting coach Kevin Long. Long had previously coached with Girardi for the Yankees between 2008 and 2014, and Long apparently personally recommend Dillon to Girardi. Dillon also served as the Marlins minor league hitting coordinator in 2016 and 2017. He played in parts of four seasons in the Majors with the Marlins (2005), Brewers (2007-2008) and Rays (2009) hitting .263 over 217 at-bats.
His sole mainstream baseball card seems to be his 2001 Bowman's Best card, featuring him as a prospect in the Royals' system. Other than that appearance, he's appeared in numerous minor league team sets dating back to 1998.
Here's a look at the club's hitting coaches dating back to 1970:
- Billy DeMars 1969-1981 - DeMars also served as first base coach (1969-1972) and third base coach (1972-1979).
- Deron Johnson 1982-1984 - Johnson also served as first base coach during his coaching tenure.
- Del Unser 1985-1988 - Unser also served as first base coach (1985-1987).
- Denis Menke 1989-1996
- Hal McRae 1997-2000
- Richie Hebner 2001
- Greg Gross 2002-2004; 2011-2012
- Milt Thompson 2005-2011
- Steve Henderson 2013-2016
- Matt Stairs 2017
- John Mallee 2018-2019
- Charlie Manuel 2019
- Joe Dillon 2020