Friday, April 22, 2016

2016 Phungo Cards are Here (Early!) from @phungo2008

2016 Phungo #38
2016 Phungo #22A
2016 Phungo #22B
2016 Phungo #27
In October, I received an awesome package from Phungo containing a pack of 2015 Phungo cards and all the "random" inserts that come with it.  I was very surprised to return home from work last week and find a package from Phungo World Headquarters.  Surely, this couldn't be the 2016 Phungo release, so early in the season.  As a premium brand, PWHQ usually waits until late in the season or even after the season to unleash its awesomeness on the collecting world.  But it's an early release this year!  2016 Phungo is live!

This is the eighth Phungo pack of cards I've opened since 2009, and it's always a pleasure to see what surprises await.  The base cards feature photographs taken at games attended by Team Phungo, and I was very happy to receive the short-printed Bob Dernier "cropped" variation in my pack which lists him as a member of the Phillies.  The Mike Trout has already disappeared into my son's Trout binder.

2016 Phungo #1
2016 Phungo #20
2016 Phungo #30
2016 Phungo #51
I also received a number of cards featuring the current Phillies team, and these are all welcome additions to my 2016 Phillies binder.  Unfortunately, my copy of the Bobby Shantz card was not the rare parallel version featuring a blue (or red) autograph of Team Phungo's founder and creative force. Maybe next year.

I should also mention that I love this year's design.  The wood-grained border with the circular inset reminds me of the 1958 Hires Root Beer set.

The "inserts" are always fun too.  Here are four of the non-Phungo cards that I needed for my Phillies collection.  There were a few non-Phungo Phillies cards that I already have in my collection, but these have quickly disappeared into the Phillies binders of my two sons.  Excellent job once again by Team Phungo, and I'm very grateful to be on their mailing list!

1966 Topps #435
2001 Donruss Class of 2001 #133
2003 Upper Deck Honor Roll #84
2014 Topps Update #US-236
Memory Lane

No comments: