Saturday, August 30, 2014

2009 Upper Deck #440 Indians Team Leaders

Phillies 8, Nationals 4
Game 133 - Wednesday Night, August 27th in Philadelphia
Record 61-72, 5th Place, 14 1/2 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies completed a shocking sweep of the first place Nationals, thanks in part to Grady Sizemore's pinch-hit, two-run home run in the sixth inning.

What It Means:  For a brief moment, it was fun to be a fan of the 2014 Phillies.

What Happened:  The offense pounded out 15 hits, including home runs from Sizemore, Jimmy Rollins (leading off the first) and Marlon Byrd (two-run shot in the seventh).  Kyle Kendrick did his thing in the first, spotting the Nationals two runs, but he'd regroup and go on to allow only two more runs in his six innings of work.

Featured Card:  Doing a search of my Phillies collection in Zistle, I was surprised to see that I actually had a Sizemore card in my collection.  Let me explain . . . One of my Phillies collecting quirks is that I like to obtain all cards from a given year for any player who appears with the Phillies.  In 2009, I was busy tracking down all Cliff Lee cards, even those featuring him with the Indians.  This card made its way into my collection, and little did I know that Lee and Sizemore would be teammates again in 2014.


Taney Dragons:  The Taney Dragons, the first team from Philadelphia to reach the Little League World Series, were honored in a pre-game ceremony with all 12 members of the team throwing out ceremonial first pitches to 12 Phillies players.  We weren't there for the ceremony, but I did catch their parade as it started down Market Street earlier in the day.  In a summer filled with mostly bad sports-related news, and a lot of bad news in general, it was great to have the Taney Dragons to cheer on during their time in Williamsport.

No comments: