Saturday, April 10, 2010

1968 Topps #98 Gary Sutherland

I've already documented my appreciation for Turn Back the Clock games, in which the Phillies wear retro-style uniforms. Tonight, as part of the Houston Astros' season-long celebration of their first 45 years, the Phils and Astros will take the field wearing throw back jerseys from 1965. (I would have preferred both teams wear their 1975 uniforms, but I wasn't asked.)

I'm still piecing together my collection of Phillies cards from the '60s, and this Gary Sutherland card from 1968 was the best example in my collection of what the Phillies away uniforms looked like in 1965.

For an in-depth look at the 1968 set - and 5 Phillies cards, so far - please check out the fine 1968 Topps Baseball blog.

1 comment:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Ahhh... this was one of my favorite cards in 1968. Partly because there was no Gary Sutherland card in 1967 (except for an "NL Rookie Stars" in the high numbers, which I didn't get until years later), and partly because since his position was "INF-OF", I could plug him into any number of positions, (in a game we used to play, where we would make up lineups by laying 9 cards down, and hoping to have a better 9 than the other guy).