Thursday, October 1, 2009

2010 Chachi Prototype #RH Ryan Howard

2010: A Chachi Odyssey, Part 10
In which certain contenders are eliminated

What two colors come to mind when you think of the Phillies? If you answered purple and green, you'll love the Phillies cards from the 1988 Topps set. This set is growing on me, but not enough to honor it with its own Chachi set in 2010.

Pros: It's got a basic design and I like the way the player's heads rise above the team name on the card.

Cons: As if the aforementioned purple and green color scheme wasn't enough, there were other factors contributing to this set's dismissal from consideration. The player's position isn't featured on the front of the card. The lack of many subsets within this set would make it difficult to create the annual Chachi set coaches cards, or the leader cards or the team card. Finally, there are just other Topps sets I like better.

4 comments:

CK said...

Thank you! That was my biggest problem with this set; when it came out and I got it, I was so disappointed by the Phillies colors. Green, green and purple. What?! It's a shame, because a lot of the other teams have good color combos, but they really stiffed the Phillies. Because of that, I never really loved this set.

You know, Topps has made a habit of sticking the Phillies with green a lot over the years, which makes no sense to me. They got it in '81, '88, '90 and '94 (maybe I'm forgetting some other years). That's a lot for a team with zero green in the team colors. Strange. I nod to the Eagles maybe?

night owl said...

I have also noted that Topps stuck the Phillies with green a lot (I'm sure I've mentioned it on the blog somewhere). Odd.

Jim said...

Don't forget purple - see 1979, 1980 and 1988.

And perhaps the strangest combo (pink and orange) in 1982.

Jim from Downingtown said...

The Phillies' (and Indians') color was gray in 1966, 1968, and 1969.