Wednesday, June 24, 2009

2008 Chachi #78 World Series Game 3/Carlos Ruiz

World Series Game 3 - October 25, 2008
Phillies 5, Rays 4

Jenna and I attended our first ever World Series game, sitting in Section 103, under cover. We were home by 2:30 AM.

From the Phillies.com report of the game: The start of Game 3 was delayed by rain, but once it started, it was non-stop action until the ninth, when the Phils, who took an early lead on solo homers by Carlos Ruiz, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard, scored the game-winner on Ruiz's single, the first infield walk-off hit in Fall Classic history.

Jamie Moyer: "I didn't really find it difficult, because I didn't have to start and then stop. It was a little tough trying to figure out when we were going to get started. But they gave both teams plenty of advance notice when the game was going to start and I was ready to go, obviously, well before that."

Carlos Ruiz: "I was looking for a pitch to hit. I was thinking I wanted to hit a fly ball to the outfield, but that didn't work out. I'll take the ground ball. It was big. The home run was, too, but the game-winner was very important. It felt good."

Eric Bruntlett: "I saw the ball on the ground and I took off for home plate. I was trying to figure out where I was going to slide. I saw the ball actually flying over my head. I knew it was going to be a tough play."

No comments: