Friday, September 11, 2026

Game 147 - Bats Take Afternoon Off Against Astros

Houston Astros  2 
Philadelphia Phillies  1 

1994 Fleer #239
Thursday Afternoon, September 10th
Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
82-65, 2nd Place, 4 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies managed three hits, wasting a solid effort from Zack Wheeler, and falling by a 2-1 score to the Astros.

What It Means:  This was a frustrating loss, especially as the team heads to Atlanta for a crucial three-game weekend series against the first place Braves.

What Happened:  Wheeler gave up a run on five hits and struck out nine in his seven inning outing.  Jose Alvarado worked out of a jam in the eighth to preserve the tie.  Jhoan Duran allowed a solo home to Cam Smith in the top of the ninth to give the Astros the lead.  The Phillies scored their lone run in the fifth on a fielder's choice groundout from Bryson Stott, with Alec Bohm running into an out at third base.

Featured Card:  I could be wrong, but I feel the window I have to feature Don Mattingly cards on this blog is closing.  As I continue to enter large 5,000 count boxes of junk wax era and 1990s baseball cards into my collection at TCDB, I've come across a bunch of Mattingly cards I forgot I had.  This is one of those cards from the under appreciated 1994 Fleer set.  We could use Mattingly in his prime in the Phillies' line-up right about now.

No comments: