Thursday, March 14, 2024

Spring Training Game 18 - Marsh Returns as Phils Top Tigers

2024 Topps Royal Blue #71
Phillies 4
, Tigers 1
Spring Training Game 18 - Wednesday Afternoon, March 13th in Clearwater
Record - 7-8-3

One Sentence Summary:  Whit Merrifield homered and Aaron Nola had a solid spring outing in this 4-1 win over the Tigers.

What It Means:  Brandon Marsh made his first appearance of the spring after having knee surgery last month.  He went 0 for 2, but looked good on defense.

What Happened:  Nola went 4 2/3 innings, allowing a solo home run and striking out five.  Merrifield tied the score with his second spring home run in the sixth inning.  The Phillies took the lead in the eighth when Kody Clemens scored on a wild pitch.  Singles from Carlos De La Cruz and Jake Cave plated two more runs in the inning.

Featured Card:  I think I'm done buying 2024 Topps packs to open, as I've had my fill.  I still really like the design of this year's cards, and here's another Royal Blue parallel I found in one of the packs my wife Jenna recently brought home for me.

Camp Head Count:  56

Before the game, three more non-roster invitees were re-assigned to minor league camp:  Mick Abel (rhp), Ryan Burr (rhp) and Tyler McKay (rhp).  And while the official head count is 56, there are at least two players who are injured and will likely begin the season on the Injured List.  Dylan Covey (rhp) has been shut down with a shoulder issue and Michael Rucker (rhp) was sent back to Philadelphia to have a numb finger checked out.

No comments: