Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Game 143 - Bullpen Fails Phils Yet Again

1994 Finest #416
Braves 10
, Phillies 8 (Game 1 - 10 Innings)
Game 143 - Monday Afternoon, September 11th in Philadelphia
Record - 78-65

One Sentence Summary:  Bryce Harper hit a dramatic, game-tying home run in the bottom of the ninth only to have Jose Alvarado immediately allow the go-ahead, and eventual winning run in the top of the 10th.

What It Means:  Frustrating day at work, frustrating day watching the Phillies.

What Happened:  The Phillies trailed by a score of 8-4 after six innings, and clawed back to tie the game with Harper's blast in the ninth.  Trea Turner hit a two-run home in the seventh to make it 8-6 and then Harper homered off Braves' closer Raisel Iglesias with Turner aboard to make it 8-8.  Alvarado entered in the 10th and allowed a lead off single to Kevin Pillar to score the Braves' ghost runner.  Orlando Arcia added an RBI-double to pour salt into the wound.

Prior to all of that, Taijuan Walker labored through 5 1/3 innings, allowing six runs (five earned) on six hits and three walks while striking out five.  Andrew Bellatti gave up two home runs in his 1 2/3 innings of relief.  Alec Bohm had a huge hit in the third, tying the game at 2-2 with a two-run double.

Featured Card:  I had this game on mute on my TV as I opted to work from home today in order to save myself some commuting time.  Maybe I should have driven in?  The few parts of the game I heard were highlighted by John Kruk's commentary, and Kruk remains the only part of the television broadcast team I regularly enjoy.  My 1994 Phillies binder is open next to me, and here's Kruk's shiny card from the 1994 Finest set.

No comments: