Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Game 105 - Phils Bullpen Can't Preserve Sanchez's Gem

1990 Fleer #650
Pirates 6
, Phillies 4 (10 Innings)
Game 105 - Sunday Afternoon, July 30th in Pittsburgh
Record - 56-49, 3rd Place, 12 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  Cristopher Sanchez pitched a gem but the Pirates continued to battle back and the Phillies' bullpen couldn't hold them off in this 6-4 loss.

What It Means:  The Phillies dropped two out of three to the Pirates, which is not good.  Fortunately, we entirely missed this ballgame as our son Doug's travel baseball team played three games on Sunday, advancing all the way to the Championship game.  It didn't work out for either Doug's team or the Phillies.

What Happened:  Sanchez pitched five hitless, shutout innings before yielding to the Phillies bullpen.  It was pretty much all downhill from there.  The Phillies had led the game through 5 1/2 innings after Alec Bohm's two-run home run in the fourth.  Bryan Reynolds tied it in the sixth with a two-run home run off reliever Seranthony Dominguez.  The Phils went up again in the seventh, taking a 4-2 lead following RBI singles from Bryce Harper and Bohm.  The Pirates scored a run in the bottom of the seventh, aided by a Johan Rojas error in center field, then tied it in the eighth on a sacrifice fly.  All tied up 4-4, and with a ghost runner on second base, Josh Palacios homered off AndrewVasquez in the 10th to give the Pirates the win.

Featured Card:  I've been slowly updating my Phillies collection over at TCDB.com, going year-by-year through my many Phillies binders.  I recently polished off my 1990 Phillies binder, which contains this hybrid Phillies-Pirates card from the 1990 Fleer set.  My user name is Ringo73 at TCDB and after adding all 686 of my 1990 Phillies baseball cards to my collection, I'm ready to tackle my 1991 binder next.

No comments: