Sunday, July 16, 2023

Game 91 - Phils Rally Late in Win Over Padres

2023 Topps #432
Phillies 6
, Padres 4 (Game 1)
Game 91 - Saturday Afternoon, July 15th in Philadelphia
Record - 49-42

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies mounted an impressive late inning comeback to defeat the Padres in game one of Saturday's scheduled double header, 6-4.

What It Means:  My All-Star break was a little longer than most.  We enjoyed a wonderful family vacation on a seven-night cruise where internet access was spotty and the Phillies games were almost completely missed.  Upon our return, I was buried with both work and a nasty cold.  I'll fill in the gaps with the games I missed as time permits, starting with yesterday's double header and working backwards.  Sometimes I need to remind myself this blog is a hobby and not the source of breaking news or relevant content to anyone other than (mostly) me.  A two-week break was needed, but now I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine.  (At least until our next vacation. 😀)

What Happened:  The Padres led 3-0 after 5 1/2 innings thanks to Trent Grisham's three-run home run off Phillies' starter Ranger Suarez.  Suarez would have been out of the inning if not for an ill-advised play by Trea Turner in which he tried to get too fancy with a ground ball, flipping the ball behind his back to an unaware Edmundo Sosa.  Everyone was safe, the inning continued and Grisham hit his blast.  The Phillies started chipping away in the sixth when Brandon Marsh doubled a pair of runs home.  Kyle Schwarber tied it up with a solo home run, his 23rd, in the seventh.  In the eighth, with the Padres back up 4-3, Bryce Harper hustled out an infield hit to tie to score again.  Schwarber and Turner then hit successive singles to give the Phillies a 6-4 lead.  All-Star Craig Kimbrel walked a pair, but ultimately shut the Padres down to record his 15th save.

Featured Card:  I'm happy to be back, and here's a card from Topps Series Two that should make any Phillies fan happy.

Field Report:  Funny story . . . We had tickets for this game, but completely missed it as I had thought we had tickets for the second game.  I didn't find my mistake until we realized we weren't going to be able to make it to the second game due to our son Doug's baseball schedule.  Looking to transfer the tickets to someone who could use them, I quickly saw our two tickets were for the 1:05 game, at the time almost over, and not the 7:05 game.  Oops.

Transaction:  Luis Ortiz (rhp) was recalled from Lehigh Valley as the 27th man for this double header.

No comments: