Monday, May 1, 2023

Game 29 - Astros Edge Phils to Avoid Sweep

1982 Donruss #625
Astros 4
, Phillies 3
Game 29 - Sunday Night, April 30th in Houston
Record - 15-14, 4th Place, 4 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  Bailey Falter was seemingly in trouble every inning, and the offense couldn't mount a rally in this 4-3 loss in Houston.

What It Means:  The Phillies couldn't complete the series sweep, but they still left Houston with a series win.  Three games with the Dodgers in Los Angeles are on tap next, with the possible return of Bryce Harper as early as Tuesday.  After starting the month with a 5-10 record, they're 10-4 over the last two weeks.

What Happened:  Falter gave up four runs in 4 1/3 innings on eight hits and three walks.  The bullpen kept the Astros off the board, but the Phillies went 0 for 8 with runners in scoring position.  J.T. Realmuto hit a solo home run in the second, and Kody Clemens homered again in Houston, for this third of the season.

Featured Card:  Over the past few months, I've started the daunting exercise of adding my Phillies baseball card collection to my account at the Trading Card Database, or tcdb.com.  I'm going slowly, updating my personal checklists and want lists as I go, and spending time with Phillies baseball card binders I've not opened in years.  This Dave Roberts card, from my 1982 Phillies binder as he spent time with the team in 1982, popped up during Sunday night's baseball game.  Had the Phillies pulled out a win, I would have gone with a card of a current Phillies player, but given the loss, I'll feature Roberts here from the glorious 1982 Donruss set.

No comments: