Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Spring Training Game 11 - Three Homers Not Enough Against O's

2022 Topps Heritage #461
Orioles 10
, Phillies 7
Spring Training Game 11 - Monday Afternoon, March 6th in Sarasota
Record - 5-5-1

One Sentence Summary:  A trio of Phillies hit three home runs in the sixth inning, but the bullpen couldn't fend off the Orioles in this 10-7 loss.

What It Means:  I definitely look forward to composing game summary posts during the regular season.  It's enjoyable for me and gives me a way to keep up with the exploits of the team.  But every year during spring training, I get to the point where I ask myself, "Why am I summarizing these exhibition games?"  Let the record show that point came in 2023 following this 11th game of the spring.  I'm a believer in finishing what I start, so onward we go.

What Happened:  Alec Bohm, Darick Hall and Jake Cave all connected for sixth inning home runs.  It was the third home run for Bohm and the second for both Hall and Cave.  Scott Kingery continues to have a strong spring and with another hit today his average is up to .385 (5 for 13) with a .500 on-base percentage.  Michael Plassmeyer got the start for the Phillies and threw 2 1/3 scoreless innings.  Bullpen casualties today included Louis Head (allowed a 3-run home run in the fourth), Billy Sullivan (four runs in 2/3 of an inning) and Andrew Baker (three runs without retiring a batter in the ninth).

Featured Card:  Cave is seemingly playing his way into a bench role on the club, as he's hitting .412 (7 for 17) with a double, triple and two home runs and he's tied for the team lead (with Bohm) with six RBIs.  He's also played solid defense in the outfield from what I've seen.  Cave has appeared on more baseball cards than I realized, including this card from last year's Heritage set.

Camp Head Count:  65

The roster head count is holding steady, and I would expect reductions to come later this year given a number of players will be departing soon for the World Baseball Classic.

No comments: