Sunday, September 11, 2022

Game 138 - Guthrie's First Hits Lead to Win Over Nats

2022 Choice Lehigh Valley
IronPigs #16
Phillies 5
, Nationals 3
Game 138 - Friday Night, September 9th in Philadelphia
Record - 76-62, 3rd Place, 11 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  Dalton Guthrie collected his first big league hits and drove in a pair of runs in this 5-3 series opening win against the Nationals.

What It Means:  The Phillies have recaptured their winning ways, winning now three of their last four games.

What Happened:  Noah Syndergaard made his seventh start for the Phillies, eventually picking up the win with six solid innings of work.  He allowed three runs on eight hits.  Guthrie's first big league hit drove home Edmundo Sosa with the first run of the game.  The Phillies would go up 3-0 in the fourth following a Rhys Hoskins home run and a single to center from J.T. Realmuto.  Realmuto would homer in the sixth, with Guthrie driving home an insurance run with another RBI single in the seventh.

Featured Card:  Guthrie went 2 for 3 in this game with a pair of RBIs.  I have six of his cards in my collection so far, and the newest is this card from the 2022 IronPigs team set.

Field Report:  I had planned on attending this game with my family, but my airline had other plans and I was stuck in Orlando following a work trip for most of the day Friday.  Fortunately, my family carried on and enjoyed the game, sending me pictures and texting me highlights of their visit.  Doug had a great pregame autograph hunt, securing signatures on a ball from Nationals' players Nelson Cruz, Josiah Gray and Carl Edwards Jr.  Rhys Hoskins signed his new scorecard, somewhat atoning for his costly error the night before.

No comments: