Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Game 87 - Phils, Nola Fall to Cards

2020 Topps Baseball
Stars Autographs #BSA-CD
Cardinals 6
, Phillies 1
Game 87 - Monday Night, July 11th in St. Louis
Record - 46-41, 3rd Place, 8 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies provided very little offense and Aaron Nola gave up five runs over seven innings of work in this 6-1 loss.

What It Means:  For the Phillies, it means they're five games over .500 and in a virtual tie with the Cardinals for the third Wild Card spot in the National League.  For me, it means I'm woefully behind with my game summary posts for the first time in over a decade.  A 12-day trip to Europe, a busy work schedule upon my return and a mild case of Covid will tend to do that to a person I suppose, and a blog created as a hobby and daily distraction will suffer accordingly when real life intervenes.  I'm feeling a little better and should hopefully be back to semi-regular posting soon.

What Happened:  Rhys Hoskins hit a first inning home run off Miles Mikolas, and then the Phillies line-up took most of the rest of the night off.  Nola struck out seven but allowed seven hits and five runs, including a two-run home to Corey Dickerson in the seventh inning.

Featured Card:  Dickerson appeared in 34 games for the Phillies in late 2019, and I'm still not sure why they let him go.  I have two Phillies cards of his in my collection, including this card from the 2020 Topps flagship release.

No comments: