Thursday, August 19, 2021

Game 121 - 1976 Topps #168 Tom Hilgendorf

Diamondbacks 6
, Phillies 2
Game 121 - Thursday Afternoon, August 19th in Phoenix
Record - 61-60, 2nd Place, 4 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  Madison Bumgarner handcuffed the struggling Phillies offense for eight innings and Zack Wheeler was hit around a bit in this 6-2 loss.

What It Means:  The Phillies were swept by the worst team in baseball.

What Happened:  Jean Segura doubled to start the game and the Phillies didn't collect another hit until Ronald Torreyes doubled to start the eighth.  They loaded the bases in the eighth, but got only one run out of it when Jean Segura, J.T. Realmuto and Bryce Harper were retired in order.  The Phillies again loaded the bases in the ninth, but Travis Jankowski struck out looking and Segura grounded out to short to end the game.  Wheeler gave up six runs on seven hits over 6 2/3 innings.  Eight runners were left on base and the team went 4 for 13 with runners in scoring position.

Featured Card:  On Thursday afternoon, as the Phillies were sleepwalking towards another loss and as I was dealing with the latest work-related drama, news came out that Topps would be losing its baseball card license in favor of Fanatics, beginning in 2026.  I didn't like the news when it came out, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around what this means for my beloved hobby.  For me personally, it means I'll spend more of my disposable income on vintage cards, which is how I've been trending the last several years anyway.  I'll continue to buy Topps factory sets through 2025, and then I doubt I'll feel the need to start a new run of Fanatics flagship sets in 2026.  But who knows?

Is this good for the hobby or bad?  Much like Tom Hilgendorf here, I have no idea.  I'm sitting here staring off into the distance feeling a little confused, feeling a little cynical and feeling a little . . . old.  Hilgendorf and I will continue to ponder this in the coming months and years and if nothing else maybe this means we'll get to spend a little more time together, along with the other cards in my vintage baseball card binders.

No comments: