Game 26 - Wednesday Night, August 26th in Washington
Record - 12-14, 3rd Place, 4 games behind the Braves
One Sentence Summary: Aaron Nola looked great through seven innings and the Phillies took the lead with a pair of RBI singles from Alec Bohm and Bryce Harper in this 3-2 win.
What It Means: This series was cut short when the Phillies unanimously voted not to take the field on Thursday night to protest the latest instance of racial injustice in our country following the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Wisconsin. The Phillies join several other MLB, NBA and NHL teams in protesting for change.
What Happened: On Wednesday night, Nola struck out 8 and allowed a pair of runs on five hits before yielding to the bullpen. Tommy Hunter and Brandon Workman nailed down the win, although Workman made it interesting with Braves runners on the corners when he struck out Victor Robles to end the game. Rhys Hoskins hit his third home run of the season to tie the game 1-1 in 3rd.
With the Nationals holding a 2-1 lead, Didi Gregorius led off the seventh with a triple to left and came home when Bohm singled. Harper later singled the speedy Quinn home to take the lead. This was the 12th Phillies win for manager Joe Girardi, but the 1,000 win for his managerial career.
Featured Card: Nola improved his record to 3-2 with the win and lowered his ERA to an even 3.00. He leads the club with 48 strikeouts through 36 innings pitched.
|2019 Choice Lehigh Valley|
Arrived During the 2020 Season
- David Hale (rhp) - 8/21/20, Acquired from the New York Yankees for Addison Russ (rhp).
- Brandon Workman (rhp) and Heath Hembree (rhp) - 8/21/20, Acquired from the Boston Red Sox with cash and a player to be named later for Nick Pivetta (rhp) and Connor Seabold (rhp).
- Nick Williams (of) - 8/15/20, Selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds.
- Edgar Garcia (rhp) - 8/18/20, Traded to the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be named later.
- Nick Pivetta (rhp) - 8/21/20, Traded to the Boston Red Sox with Connor Seabold (rhp) for Brandon Workman (rhp), Heath Hembree (rhp), a player to be named later and cash.
- Austin Davis (lhp) - 8/26/20, Traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and cash.