Friday, June 26, 2020

Zooming with the Phillies, Preparing for Spring Training II


Four months ago, if you had said any of these things to me I would have thought you'd lost your mind:

  • Spring Training would be stopped on March 13th due to the COVID-19 worldwide pandemic and would be set to resume on July 1st at Citizens Bank Park and the IronPigs' ballpark in Allentown.
  • Opening Day would be July 23rd with 30-man rosters to start the season, a National League designated hitter, no fans in the stands, an abbreviated 60-game schedule over 66 days and play limited to each team's geographic divisions.
  • I'd partake in a virtual Zoom meeting with Phillies broadcaster Tom McCarthy, Jimmy Rollins and Charlie Manuel for season ticket holders, suite ticket purchasers and group leaders.
I would have had no idea what Zoom even was.  But here we are.  I enjoyed the special session held on Thursday night, even though I've heard most of Rollins' and Manuel's stories multiple times by now.  It was good to hear two Phillies legends talk baseball as we gear up for what will most likely be one of the strangest baseball seasons ever.  The biggest revelation for me was that Rollins considered John Mayberry, Jr. to be his funniest teammate.  Who knew?

Ben was kind enough to watch some of the session with me in The Phillies Room World HQ, while my wife and Doug were at his social distancing-enforced baseball practice.

Strange times, strange world.

No comments: