New Players (Under 60/40-Man Roster Division)
- #2 Jean Segura - The new shortstop takes the number worn by J.P. Crawford last year, one of the players sent to the Mariners for Segura.
- #12 Juan Nicasio - Jose Bautista wore this number last season, and the #58 worn by Nicasio during his two-game stint with the Phillies in 2017 is now occupied by Seranthony Dominguez.
- #22 Andrew McCutchen - Cutch assumes his familiar #22, coaxed away from manager Gabe Kapler.
- #30 David Robertson - This number was vacant last season, having been worn by Matt McBride in spring training.
- #47 James Pazos - The Phillies will not be retiring this number for Aaron Loup, so it's available for Pazos.
- #52 Jose Alvarez - The same can be said for #52 and its wearer last season, Zac Curtis.
It should also be noted that several non-roster invitees have been assigned low numbers, including #9 Phil Gosselin, #18 Lane Adams, #31 Shane Robinson, #33 Matt McBride, #40 Gregorio Petit and #44 Rob Brantly.
- #3 Paco Figueroa - Former first base coach Jose David Flores was #3 in 2018.
- #10 Bobby Dickerson - Trevor Plouffe briefly wore this number last season.
- #57 David Lundquist - Luis Garcia had worn this number since making his debut in 2013.
- #19 Gabe Kapler - When McCutchen claimed #22, Kapler switched to #19 which is a number he wore with the Rangers, Red Sox and Rays during his playing days.
JoJo Romero was assigned #79 which is the highest new number. Pat Neshek (#93) and Tommy Hunter (#96) are coming back with their curiously chosen numbers as well.
#28 - The Phillies website lists this number for both Vince Velasquez, who has worn it the last three seasons and non-roster invitee Andrew Romine. My guess here is that Romine is actually #21 and this is just an error on the website.
Numbers Available - Unofficially Retired Division
#6 Ryan Howard
#11 Jimmy Rollins
#26 Chase Utley
Numbers Available - Machado/Harper/Keuchel Division
#13, #34, #60
Numbers Available - Up for Grabs Division
#21 - How is this number not taken for the second year in a row? Non-roster invitee Collin Cowgill wore this number last spring and Clay Buchholz had the number for a very brief time in 2017.
#39 - Worn by pitching coach Rick Kranitz last year.
#41 - Worn by Carlos Santana last season. I'm guessing this number goes to the recently signed Drew Butera, who hasn't yet shown up on the Phillies website.