Thursday, January 25, 2018

Congrats to Hall of Famer Jim Thome! #ThomeHOF

2011 Phillies Team Issue
Series 2 Special Edition #25
For the past several years, I've taken a look back at the Phillies-related baseball cards for each new inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  This year is a little easier than most with all-time great and Phillies Room Favorite Jim Thome joining the hallowed hall in his first year of eligibility.  I'm lucky to have 267 different Thome cards in my collection, including this autographed photo card issued by the Phillies when they brought Thome back for a second stint prior to the 2012 season.

Like most (if not all Phillies fans), I'm a huge Thome fan and our whole family was there in August 2016 when the Phillies inducted him onto their Wall of Fame.  I know he'll most likely enter the Hall with an Indians logo on his hat, but I'd still expect a large contingent of Phillies fans to make their way to Cooperstown in August.

Joining Thome in the Hall are fellow greats Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman and Chipper Jones.  Jack Morris and Alan Trammell had been previously announced as inductees in December from the Modern Baseball Era Committee.  Here's a look at some of the baseball cards of these new Hall of Famers in my Phillies collection.

2002 Fleer Hot Prospects
Co-Stars #13
2000 Upper Deck Legends
Reflections in Time #R9
1984 Topps Tiffany #136
 
2017 Topps National Baseball
Card Day SGA Phillies #19

Vladimir Guerrero - 2002 Fleer Hot Prospects Co-Stars #13 (with Scott Rolen)
Trevor Hoffman - No cards in my collection.
Chipper Jones - I have 11 different Chipper cards in my collection, all pairing him with either Scott Rolen or Mike Schmidt.
Jack Morris - 1984 Topps #136 (with Steve Carlton)
Jim Thome - The most recent card in my collection is from last year's Topps National Baseball Card Day Stadium Giveaway set.
Alan Trammell - No cards in my collection.

Memory Lane
2012 Inductees - Larkin and Santo
2013 Inductees - O'Day, Ruppert and White
2014 Inductees - Cox, Glavine, LaRussa, Maddux, Thomas and Torre
2015 Inductees - Biggio, Johnson, Martinez and Smoltz
2016 Inductees - Griffey and Piazza
2017 Inductees - Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez, Selig and Schuerholz
2018 Inductees - Guerrero, Hoffman, Jones, Morris, Thome and Trammell

No comments: