Sunday, August 23, 2015

2015 Grandstand Reading Fightin Phils Stroehmann SGA #22 Aaron Altherr

Phillies 4, Marlins 2
Game 123 - Saturday Night, August 22nd in Miami
Record - 49-74, 5th Place, 17 1/2 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  The Phils mounted an impressive, late-inning comeback capped by home runs from Darnell Sweeney, Aaron Altherr and Darin Ruf in the 4-2 win.

What It Means:  The Phillies will go for the series win this afternoon behind Aaron Nola.

What Happened:  The Phillies were kept off the scoreboard through the first seven innings by Marlins starter Justin Nicolino.  In the eighth, Sweeney homered for his first hit in the Majors to get the Phils on the board.  Andres Blanco followed that with a double to score Cesar Hernandez with the tying run.  In the ninth, Altherr and Ruf hit back-to-back home runs to put the Phillies in the lead.  It was the first time the Phillies had hit back-to-back home runs all season.

Aaron Harang pitched well, allowing two runs in his seven innings of work.  Elvis Araujo threw one pitch to retire the Marlins in the eighth and came away with the win.

Featured Card:  We attended a Trenton Thunder game last weekend and I was very surprised to find a Reading Fightin Phils team set in the Thunder team store that was only available as a stadium give-away in Reading.  The set is identical to the normal team set, with the exception of the red Stroehmann logo on the front and back of the cards.  I usually don't collect minor league team set variations, but I felt the need to add this to my collection given my appreciation for this year's Reading team.  This is Altherr's card from that set.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The set was there because Grandpa Stroehmann wanted you to find it.

...Assuming that "Grandpa Stroehmann" is still used in their advertising, and assuming that you know what I'm talking about...

Jim said...

And I get this too . . . not sure if Grandpa is still with us though . . .

Steve F. said...

Perhaps Trenton has a very generous return policy:

"I'd like to return this set that I bought here. I lost the receipt."

"Sir, that is a Reading Phillies giveaway set. We wouldn't have sold you that here in Trenton."

"No, I know I got it here."

"Uhhh...here is $10 back. Is that enough?"

"I think I paid $15."

Sighing. "Here's another $5. Thanks for your business."

Jim said...

That's actually a really good theory!