Monday, July 27, 2015

2016 Chachi Set: Which Topps Design?

1970 Topps #677
I'll admit I've been spending way too much time over the past few days hitting refresh on Twitter and MLB Trade Rumors, hoping for any Phillies scoop or consummated deals.  I realize this exercise is futile.  All the national (and local) media can report at this point is something along the lines of:

Sources telling me the Phillies are still in talks with Dodgers/Cubs/Rangers/Yankees/Blue Jays about Cole Hamels/Jonathan Papelbon/Ben Revere/Jeff Francoeur, or

Sources telling me the Phillies are listening to all potential suitors right now and they're ready to make a deal for the right pieces.

No one knows anything except the Phillies front office and these "sources" might as well be me.

With that in mind, and just between you and me, sources are telling me that the 2016 Chachi set will be based on the 1970 Topps set.  I'm actually a little surprised that as of this afternoon, votes for the 1970 Topps set have now doubled votes for the 1971 Topps set.

I'm assuming this is due to the 1970 Topps set having an underrated, underused design and maybe the folks who have voted here are ready for something different than the overused 1971 Topps design.  I'm digging the thought of spending the 2016 season with the 1970 Topps set and design and sources are also telling me that the 1971 Topps set is the early favorite for the 2017 Chachi set.

I'm going to leave this poll up until Topps goes live with its first look at its 2016 flagship set.  At that point, I'll take the poll down and officially announce the 2016 Chachi set design.  So please refresh your memories with this post and happy voting!

No comments: