Sunday, August 3, 2014

2009 Upper Deck Update #U46 Antonio Bastardo

Diamondbacks 10, Phillies 6 (10 Innings)
Game 104 - Saturday Night, July 26th in Philadelphia
Record - 45-59, 5th Place, 12 1/2 games behind the Nationals

Another Why Even Bother Post-Vacation Massive Catch-Up, Part 1 of 8

One Sentence Summary:  Cliff Lee had his second straight mediocre outing since returning from the DL and Antonio Bastardo crashed and burned in the 10th, allowing the Diamondbacks to take the lead and eventually win the game, 10-6.

What It Means:  I'm writing these posts semi-real time following these games while the kids are taking naps or otherwise recovering from days at the beach.  Once I'm back home, post-vacation, I'll scan in the featured card, upload and publish.  So as I sit here writing this (beer in hand, ocean visible from our second story deck, in complete vacation mode) I have no way of knowing whether or not I've seen Bastardo pitch for the Phillies for the last time or not and if he'll be traded prior to Thursday's non-waiver trade deadline.  But I sure hope so and I sure hope he is.  (Post vacation update - He's still here.)

What Happened:  Lee lasted just five innings, surrendering three runs on nine hits.  The recently reliable bullpen allowed the Diamondbacks to creep back into the game as the Phils at one point held a 6-2 lead.  Bastardo looked awful in the 10th, giving up four runs on three hits and walk.

Cody Asche (7) and Marlon Byrd (20) hit home runs for the Phillies.

Featured Card:  For a guy who has been a part of the Phillies bullpen since 2009, Bastardo has had surprisingly few widely released Phillies cards.  By my very unofficial tally, he appeared on this 2009 Upper Deck Update card and has only appeared within two other major releases - 2009 Topps Heritage and 2012 Topps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fret not, I've got a TSR card of Antonio waiting in my portfolio... Various technical difficulties have put behind in my customs, but I'll try to get this one out soon.

Jim said...

Sounds good. Although after the last few games, I'm toying with the idea of rebooting the blog and rooting for the A's for the rest of the season.