Monday, June 9, 2014

2014 Topps Heritage #16 Carlos Ruiz

Reds 4, Phillies 1
Game 61 - Sunday Afternoon, June 8th in Cincinnati
Record - 25-36, 5th Place, 7 games behind the Braves, Nationals and Marlins

One Sentence Summary:  Homer Bailey and the Reds made it look easy in a 4-1 win over the floundering Phillies.

What It Means:  The Phillies have the worst record in the National League and they're on pace to lose 96 games this season.  We haven't seen that level of futility since Terry Francona's 2000 Phillies lost 97 games.

What Happened:  From the Phillies perspective, not much happened.  The offense managed six singles and went 0 for 5 with runners in scoring position.  Starter David Buchanan allowed all four runs in his six innings of work.

Featured Card:  "We have to believe," a glum Carlos Ruiz told the media following this game.  I wish it were that easy, Chooch.

Transaction:  Reliever Mike Adams landed on the disabled list with arm issues and prospect Kenny Giles was recalled from Lehigh Valley to take his place on the roster.  Giles has been a bright spot this year within the Phillies minor league system, pitching to a 1.88 ERA in 28 2/3 innings while saving 12 games.

2 comments:

Steve F. said...

One word: ughh.

Also, to explain my comment to your Bob McClure post on June 4, I have to think that at some point Bob will come across your site in a Google search, or because he wants to see his Chachi card, and I didn't want him to read some clearly snarky comment about the value of a Bob McClure signed ball. So my words "lucky enough" are not meant to mean "lucky enough" but rather "I felt like cursing out the guy who handed me that bag".... Actually, in the pick before that I got an unsigned ball, which they let me trade in for a new bag that turned out to be Asche. When I got the McClure, I asked if I trade it in for that blank ball but they pointed to the sign that said "No trades" or something like that!

Jim said...

I've purchased two "mystery ball" bags in my lifetime - one had a Pedro Feliz ball and the other one (this year) had a Carlos Ruiz ball. Not too shabby, although I wouldn't actually go out of my way to purchase a Feliz ball.