Tuesday, March 25, 2014

2013 Grandstand Reading Fightin Phils #3 David Buchanan (@davidb413)

Phillies 6, Blue Jays 3 (8 Innings)
Spring Training Game 26 - Monday Afternoon, March 24th in Dunedin
Record - 8-15-3

One Sentence Summary:  The offense showed signs of life in a 6-3, rain-shortened victory over the Blue Jays.

What Happened:  Each spring, there comes a time when I'm a little tired of writing these spring training game summaries and I'm ready for the regular season to start.  I've arrived at that point now.  Cameron Rupp and Tony Gwynn, Jr. each drove in a pair of runs for the Phillies.

Featured Card:  I haven't posted any cards other than Topps Heritage since last week, so I'll break the streak with a card of the pitcher who could be the team's fifth starter on April 13th.  David Buchanan pitched two scoreless innings against the Blue Jays yesterday, continuing to impress manager Ryne Sandberg with his performance so far this spring.  In five games this spring (four starts), Buchanan has struck out 11 and walked just two in 12 innings pitched while compiling an ERA of 2.25.

This is one of Buchanan's two cards released last year with the Reading Fightin Phils' team sets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Given his odds of making the team, I just went ahead and added his 2012 Bowman Platinum Prospect Autographs card to my collection. Hopefully, I didn't jump the gun on this one.

Jim said...

I don't think you did. It's going to be either him or Manship as the fifth starter, and my hope is that they'll bring him up to see what he can do.