Saturday, September 11, 2010

2002 Fleer Box Score Amazing Greats #15 Scott Rolen

Mets 4, Phillies 3
Game 143 - Saturday Afternoon, September 11th in New York

The Phillies came to life a little too late this afternoon, falling to the Mets, 4-3, and dropping back into a tie for first with the Braves.  The Phils managed just 3 hits through the first 7 innings as Mets' starter Mike Pelfrey kept the offense off-balance on the way to his 14th win.  RBI-singles from Shane Victorino and Ryan Howard plated 3 runs in the 8th, but it wasn't enough.

Kyle Kendrick lasted only 5 innings, forcing the bullpen to send in six different relievers to pitch the balance of the game.  The Phils mounted a mini-rally in the 9th when Mike Sweeney doubled with 1 out, but they were unable to tie it up.

9/11:  It's been 9 years since the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and I clearly remember, in vivid detail, the events of that morning and the terrible aftermath that followed.  I can barely remember what I did last Wednesday, but I can recall just about every moment of what I did that day and exactly how I felt.  I'll never forget.

I don't remember many details of September 12th through 16th, 2001.  I remember constantly watching CNN.  I remember being confused, scared, angry and exhausted by the sheer weight of it all.  I remember feeling that things would never get back to "normal."  Like most everybody else, I was completely lost.  And then on September 17, 2001, they played baseball.

For me personally, it was the first sign of hope and the first sign that maybe things were going to be OK.  We were still a long way from OK, but it was a start.  The Braves played the Phillies at the Vet that night, and Harry Kalas was back calling the game after what seemed like a month-long absence.  I remember watching the game on TV and hearing the chants of "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!" throughout the night.  I remember Phillies' manager Larry Bowa crying on the field during the pregame ceremony.  And I remember Scott Rolen's second home run of the night in the 6th inning, which broke a 2-2 tie in a game the Phils would eventually win.

It's been 9 years already, and I'll never forget.

No comments: