Sunday, July 4, 2010

Scrapbook Sunday: July 4, 1984

1984 Donruss #111 Steve Carlton

I've always loved the 4th of July holiday. Back in my younger years, 4th of July meant spending the day on the beach, ordering dinner from Phil's, and then enjoying the Sea Isle City fireworks before challenging my Nana to a few games of skee ball. It meant sparklers and painting sea shells and falling asleep to the revelry that continued throughout the night on the small island.

That's all changed now of course. The Sea Isle house was sold when my Nana couldn't keep up with it, and her grand children scattered to start their careers and families. Phil's is gone, and sitting here now I can't remember the name of the place that replaced it. I think the last time I saw the Sea Isle fireworks was back when Jenna and I first started dating. The city must have had a budgetary problem that year, because I remember the show was all of 10 minutes long.

Time marches on, but a few things remain constant. I'm fortunate enough to have grown up in this wonderful country, and I get to spend the 4th of July holiday with my family. We're forming new traditions and the seeds of new memories are being planted in the minds of our sons. My sister is getting married this month, and soon (no pressure) her children will join ours in whatever holiday traditions we decide to adopt.

26 Years Ago: I'm sure we were in Sea Isle when the Phils lost in extra innings back on the 4th of July, 1984. Despite home runs from Ozzie Virgil and Johnny Wockenfuss the team came up short. Closer Al Holland came in for a 2-inning save in the 8th, allowed a home run to Cesar Cedeno to tie the game . . . and stayed in the game for 2 more innings. The blown save meant Steve Carlton's fine pitching performance was all for naught. Mr. T actually balked home the Reds' winning run in the top of the 10th.

1 comment:

John Bateman said...

Thanks for the Box Scores