Sunday, April 4, 2010

2010 Phillies Team Issue Phillies Broadcasters

I'm sitting here watching the first baseball game of 2010 (Yankees 5, Red Sox 2 in the 5th), which is fitting on Easter Sunday - a wonderful day of hope and new beginnings.

Before the Phillies open their 2010 season tomorrow afternoon in Washington, I wanted to pay tribute to the men with whom I'll be spending most of my summer. Of course I'm talking about the Phillies broadcasters. Sadly, this will be the first Phillies opening day since 1970 without their long-time broadcaster and voice, Harry Kalas. The Phils won't be wearing the "HK" memorial patch on the front of their jerseys this year, but it will be hard not to think of Harry whenever I turn on the TV to watch the game or flip on the radio to listen to a few innings on my way home from work.

Larry Andersen and Scott Franzke man the radio booth again this year, and I'll listen to them call the game every chance I get. No disrespect intended for the TV team, but I simply prefer the style and witty banter of the radio guys. Tom McCarthy handles the play-by-play duties for TV, with Gary Matthews and Chris Wheeler providing color commentary. Long-time Flyers broadcaster Jim Jackson handles the pre and post-game shows on the radio and he occasionally fills in for one of the regulars.

Go Phils!

No comments: