Friday, October 2, 2009

2010 Chachi Prototype #JR Jimmy Rollins

2010: A Chachi Odyssey, Part 13
The first of the final four

If you've been following along, you'll have figured out there's only four Topps sets I have not yet referenced in the previous 12 parts of 2010: A Chachi Odyssey. The 2010 Chachi Set Planning Committee chose the 1971 Topps set as the first of its four finalists.

Pros:
Sharp, classic design and I love the way the red Phillies uniform contrasts with the stark black border. This is the set I'm currently collecting, and there would be a nice feng shui to collecting the original and creating the new throughout the upcoming year. There are plenty of subsets within the original '71 Topps set for my Chachi set subsets - leader cards, team cards, multi-player cards and Postseason cards.

Cons: How much 1971 Topps is too much? Will the black borders burn me out mid-way through the summer of '10? Also, it's a minor point, but I'd need to create my own record breaker/highlight template as the 1971 Topps set doesn't include a highlights subset.

2 comments:

deal said...

It isn't really a Highlight Subset has the Post Season cards that could be used for Record Breaker and Highlight cards.

This would be outside the box but you could consider using the Night-Gamer and Day at the Park cards from UD 2002 Vintage - the knock off of 1971 Topps. They would make a decent but matching basis for the RB/HL cards.

Jim said...

I really like the idea of using some 2002 Vintage cards. I hadn't thought of that.