Monday, September 7, 2009

1988 Donruss #535 Kent Tekulve

Astros 4, Phillies 3

Labor Day Weekend 2009 was not a fun time for the Phillies or me. I at least had a little bit of fun on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, sandwiched in between two very long, headache-inducing, gray days at work. Yes, I labored on Labor Day. We had a small family BBQ late Saturday afternoon and Doug and I mowed the lawn, played (Lego) garage and chased each other on Sunday. The Phillies weren't so lucky, and no amount of Legos, however cool, could solve their offensive woes at this point.

This is my second busiest time of the year at work. I didn't get a chance to listen to the Phillies today, and that's probably a good thing. I find myself completely consumed with my job at times and hours can pass by without me knowing it. I get too wrapped up in details, I dwell on things and I occasionally (internally) freak out. I start to wonder if life would be easier had I been a pumpkin farmer. I lose sight of what's important and I find I need to take a deep breath and regroup.

So that's what I'm going to do. I hope the Phils do the same.

It's September 7th and the Phillies are in first place with a six-game lead. They open a 3-game series with the last place Nationals tomorrow. As for the deadlines at work - they'll be met. They always are. Things look bleak right now, but there's always a good Kent Tekulve baseball card waiting to bring cheer. And then there's family.

Each night, right before he goes to bed, Jenna asks Doug what his favorite part of the day was. Tonight he answered, "When Daddy came home." That was my favorite part of the day too. Amen and Happy Labor Day.

1 comment:

Pop-Pop said...

Pumpkin farmers have a busy season too...the end of the tunnel is near, you have a wonderful family and there is no worry about Phils...the hitting will come