Monday, May 18, 2009

1984 Fleer #636 Reds Reunited

I'll admit, before I pulled this card from a pack of Fleer cards in the summer of 1984, I had never heard of the Big Red Machine. I knew both Joe Morgan and Tony Perez had had impressive careers, since the ubiquitous Active Leaders cards at the end of the 1984 Topps set told me as much. And I had known about Charlie Hustle since the summer of '79.

The trio reunited in 1983 to form part of the group known as the Wheeze Kids. The core of the '83 Phils were aging veterans looking for one last trip to the Postseason - and they got there. They won the NL East, defeated the Dodgers in the NLCS, but lost to the Orioles in the World Series.

And for the record, I don't mind listening to Joe Morgan during ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball. (Although I wish he and his broadcast partners had actually discussed the Giants-Mets game on Sunday night and not just the Mets' ongoing soap opera saga).

No comments: