Thursday, March 20, 2014

2014 Topps Heritage #373 Ben Revere

Blue Jays 11, Phillies 6
Spring Training Game 20 - Wednesday Afternoon, March 19th in Dunedin
Record - 5-13-2

One Sentence Summary:  Roberto Hernandez was roughed up for the first time this spring, as the Phillies fell to the Blue Jays, 11-6.

What Happened:  Hernandez allowed seven runs on 11 hits in his 3 2/3 innings of work.  Ryan Howard went 2 for 3 at the plate and Ben Revere had a big three-run double in the second.

Featured Card:  I'm still happily opening packs of Topps Heritage, and I'd like to share a little secret.  For the past week, I have had packs of Topps Heritage waiting for my sons Doug and Ben at the breakfast table in the morning.  They've come downstairs for breakfast and opened a pack of Heritage before digging in to the ridiculous amount of food both growing boys consume every morning.

Here's my secret though . . . I've been pre-opening the packs the night before and slipping in a Phillies card just to make sure there's a Phillie in every pack.  They've been slowly adding to their collections, and Doug is looking forward the day (soon) when we'll put all our new cards in order and work on a checklist together.

I must say, it's been five years since I was excited about putting together a set (2008 Topps Heritage) and it feels good to be a set collector once again.  Even if it's only a momentary detour from my status as a Phillies collector.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thats awesome that you do that for your sons!

I'm gonna have to steal that idea from you when my son starts getting into cards! He's only 4 , but Im counting down the days! ha

By the way, I'm with you with the Heritage, great series. I only buy Heritage and Archives at this point.

Jim said...

It's a good way to keep them interested! Without the Phillies card in each pack I don't know if they'd care about opening the packs or not.