Friday, August 2, 2013

1978 SSPC Baseball the Phillies Way - Part Two

Part one of the 1978 SSPC Phillies gallery was posted yesterday, and this is part two.  There seem to be a whole lot of photos taken at night in this set, as opposed to the day-time pictures featured in the 1976 SSPC set.  I'm not even sure Tug McGraw is standing inside The Vet on his card.  And I've always liked the Bake McBride card, since you can clearly see "Welcome to Veterans Stadium" on the scoreboard over his right shoulder.

#42 Tug McGraw
#43 Jay Johnstone
#44 Randy Lerch
#45 Billy DeMars CO
#46 Mike Schmidt
#47 Larry Christenson
#48 Tim McCarver
#49 Larry Bowa
#50 Danny Ozark MG
#51 Jerry Martin
#52 Jim Lonborg
#53 Bake McBride
#54 Warren Brusstar

2 comments:

Steve F. said...

I got this set when I was 9 and have always loved it. I dutifully read the book cover-to-cover, but somehow the tips didn't put me on a path to a baseball career. Later I started to get the cards signed and now have all of them signed, although my Schmidt is a crappy free, non-card-show autograph (with a bad pen) that I will someday have to replace with a $65 paid one as it really stands out as awful compared to the rest.

Thanks for bringing back memories of the set!

By the way, there are about 8 or 9 other books that complete this SSPC set. The Yankees and the Phillies books are of a different style than the rest, but the cards are all similarly inserted into the center of the books.

Jim said...

Great job getting them all signed - very impressive!