Sunday, April 21, 2013

1987 M&M's Star Lineup #3 Mike Schmidt

Cardinals 5, Phillies 0
Game 18 - Saturday Night, April 20th in Philadelphia
Record - 7-11, 4th Place, 6 1/2 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  Cliff Lee and the offense struggled in another frustrating loss to the Cardinals.

What It Means:  The Phils have a chance for a series split if they win tonight's game.  After the offensive outburst on Friday night, my brother-in-law Bill accurately predicted that the Phils probably wouldn't score any runs the rest of the series.  He's half-way to having his prediction come true.

What Went Wrong:  The Cardinals plated four runs in the third and never looked back.  Lee was uncharacteristically wild, walking the bases loaded and then giving up three straight singles.  The offense managed three hits off Cardinals starter Lance Lynn and two relievers.

Featured Card:  I'm at a loss.  It's so easy to find a good card for these posts following a Phillies victory.  I just determine the star of the game, find one of the player's cool recent cards I haven't already featured on the blog, scan it, post it and I'm done.

When the Phillies lose, and particularly when they lose in a boring fashion, this task becomes more difficult.  So here's how I arrived at the particular card featured here:

- Today is Ben's (my youngest son's) birthday.
- Ben likes M&Ms.
- My 1987 Phillies binder was still out because I recently posted this card.
- Wait, wasn't there an oddball Mike Schmidt M&Ms card from the late 1980s?
- Yes, and here it is, right here in front of me in my 1987 Phillies binder.
- Ben's birthday, M&Ms, and a smiling Schmidt all make me happy.
- Scan, add photo, publish.  Done.

No comments: