Sunday, January 27, 2013

1979 TCMA Baseball History Series #18 Del Ennis


I was talking to my six-year-old son Doug recently about how his Pop-Pop's (my Dad's) birthday was coming up.  Dad would have been 69 today.

Doug asked if we'd still celebrate his birthday even though he wouldn't be here.  And I told him that we'd get together with his Mimi (my Mom) and his Aunt Caca (my sister) and her family to celebrate.  He thought about it for a few minutes and then he said, "I wish the Spirit of Pop-Pop could be there to blow out his candles kind of like how the Spirit of Obi-Wan visited Luke on Dagobah."

I smiled and I agreed with Doug that would definitely be awesome.  Then I heard my Dad's voice remind me, "You're a lucky man, Jimmy."

We miss you Sir.

3 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Awesome post, Jim.

Steve F. said...

Great story, and Happy B-Day to your Dad! Probably he and Del Ennis are up there discussing the same uncertainty about the 2013 Phils that we are doing here on earth.

My parents are both 69, and my son is 5 (plus I have 11- and 8-year old daughters), so your stories like this hit home for me....

Jim said...

Thanks guys.