Friday, October 7, 2016

Two More T205s Added - Bob Ewing & John Titus


In my show summary post for the recent Philly Show held in Valley Forge, I mentioned the addition of two 1911 T205 Gold Border Phillies cards to my collection.  Here they are, in all their dinged, creased and stained glory.  Not counting variations, there are 12 Phillies cards in the T205 team set, and I'm now amazingly a third of the way there.


Bob Ewing spent the first eight years of his career with the Cincinnati Reds before joining the Phillies in 1910.  In parts of two seasons with the club, Ewing went 16-15 with a 3.42 ERA, striking out 114 and walking 100 in 279 1/3 innings.  How long ago do you think Arthur scrawled his name on the back of this card?

John Titus, who according to Baseball Reference earned the nicknames Silent John and Tight Pants, played 10 seasons for the Phillies between 1903 and 1912.  The team's primary right fielder during those years, Titus hit .278 over 1,219 games with the Phillies.  The baseball card dealer who sold me this card wanted me to know that Titus is the only player within the famed T206 set with a mustache. I have no reason to doubt this information, and I now have the immediate desire to add Titus's T206 card to my Phillies collection.

1911 T205 Gold Border Collection
Charles Dooin
Mickey Doolan
Bob Ewing
John Titus

2 comments:

Section 36 said...

Those are gorgeous cards! Good luck on completing the set!

Cardspotter said...

awesome looking cards...especially the Titus!